Sign up to get occasional articles, prayers, and other resources from Mel Lawrenz and The Brook Network…
In Prayers for Our Lives author and pastor Mel Lawrenz offers 95 different prayers to be used in times of distress, on special occasions, and as daily patterns. For instance: Morning Prayers – Evening Prayers – Mealtime Prayers – For the Family – For Worship – When We Are Ill – When We Are Discouraged – For Faith and Salvation – When We Are Tempted – For Friends – For the Nation – When Someone Gets Married – Praise to Christ the Lord – Thanks for a Major Achievement – When We Need Guidance – and dozens more
A Book of Prayers for Kids: Ways to Talk to God Every Day includes: Prayers includes… A Mealtime Prayer – A Prayer to Start the Day – A Prayer to End the Day – Before You Read the Bible – When You are Sad – When You are Afraid – When You are Lonely – When You’ve Lost a Friend – When You Are Being Bullied – When You are Confused – When You Have Done Wrong – When You Accomplished Something Good – When Your Father is Not Doing Well – When Your Mother is Not Doing Well – When Someone You Love is Ill – On Your Birthday – To God Our Father – To Jesus the Son of God – To God the Holy Spirit – When Someone You Love Has Died – When Your Pet Is Ill – At Christmas Time – Thanks for Your Mother – Thanks for Your Father – Thanks For Your Family – Prayer for Faith – Prayer for Hope – Prayer for Love – Before Going to Church – When You Have to Say Sorry – About School – For the Beginning of the School Year – For the End of the School Year
What People Are Saying…
“The prayers are simple, in language that children can understand, yet at the same time rich and meaningful. I love that the prayers cover so many different subjects. Not only are my kids learning how to communicate with God through prayer, but they are also learning that they can come to God about anything that’s going on in their lives and in their hearts.” Ruth
“My twelve and eight year olds are going through the book now. They each give it two thumbs up! They have found prayers in this book that are meaningful to them and their circumstances. One child said, ‘I liked the start of the day prayer because everyone needs something to pray about in the morning.’ The book is written for kids to understand, but not necessarily using kiddish words. The book fills out a broader perspective of knowing God and his attributes, as well as seeing life through a lens of prayer. I’m happy for them to have this resource close by during their private thoughts.” Keith
“Our four sons aged 4 to 12 have truly enjoyed this book. We read it every night after dinner, before bed. The prayers are so fitting to their lives and the daily issues they face. My 4 year old loves to recite the prayers over and over. I am so thankful we found this and have been working it into our everyday lives!” Candice
Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances by Mel Lawrenz. WordWay, 2016. ISBN 978-0-9974063-0-6
Sometimes we know exactly what to pray, and sometimes it seems hard to find the right words. That is not unusual. That is why Christians have been writing prayers to support each other for centuries, based on the values and the standards we find in Scripture.
You can use these prayers in private times, in a group, for a special occasion, or in church. Or adapt them as you see fit.
TABLE OF CONTENTS of Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances by Mel Lawrenz
PART 1 – PRAYERS FOR DAILY PATTERNS
- A Morning Prayer (3 versions) 16
- An Evening Prayer (3 versions) 18
- A Prayer to Start the Work Day 20
- When We Need Guidance 22
- At Mealtime (3 versions) 23
- Before and After Reading Scripture 25
- Asking God for Wisdom 26
- For Our Families 28
- When We Travel 30
PART 2 – PRAYERS FOR DIFFICULT TIMES
- When Someone Is Ill 34
- When We Are Ill 36
- When a Loved-One Has Died 38
- When We Face Unemployment 40
- When We Are Lonely 42
- When We Are Depressed 44
- When We Have Done Wrong 46
- When Visiting Someone in the Hospital 48
- When a Friend Is Grieving 49
PART 3 – PRAYERS FOR STRESSFUL TIMES
- When We Are Discouraged 52
- When We Are Angry 54
- When Facing Financial Difficulties 56
- When We Are Tempted 58
- When We Are Confused 60
PART 4 – PRAYERS FOR JOYOUS TIMES
- A Prayer of Faith and Salvation 64
- On Friendship 66
- Thanks for Good Health 67
- Thanks for Successful Medical Treatment 68
- Thanks for an Ordinary Day 69
- Gratitude for a Major Achievement 70
- When a New Baby Arrives 71
- For Graduation 72
- When Someone Comes to Faith 73
- When Someone Gets Married 74
PART 5 – PRAYERS FOR WORSHIPING GOD
- Praise to God the Father 78
- Praise to Christ the Lord 80
- Praise to the Holy Spirit 82
- A Prayer of Dedication in Church 84
- At a Funeral 86
PART 6 – PRAYERS FOR THE COMMUNITY, THE NATION, AND THE WORLD
- For the Community 90
- For the Nation (2 versions) 92
- For the World 96
- For the Poor and the Downtrodden 98
- For Leaders in Government 100
PART 7 – PRAYERS FOR HOLIDAYS
- For Thanksgiving Day 104
- For Advent and the Christmas Season 106
- For Christmas Day 108
- For Lent, Leading Up to Easter 109
- For Easter, Resurrection Day 111
PART 8 – PRAYERS FROM SCRIPTURE
- Prime Prayer: The Lord’s Prayer 114
- Prayer for the Abundant Life 114
- Longing for God 115
- Prayer of Confession 116
- Prayer for Strength, Love, and the Fullness of God 117
PART 9 – ONE-SENTENCE PRAYERS
- One-sentence prayers for daily patterns 120
- One-sentence prayers for special help 121
- One-sentence prayers of praise and thanksgiving 122
- One-sentence prayers for those in need 122
- Two- and Three-word prayers 123
ABOUT THE AUTHOR —
Mel Lawrenz trains an international network of Christian leaders, ministry pioneers, and thought-leaders. He has a Ph.D. in the history of Christian thought (Marquette University) and has been on the adjunct faculty of the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee and Trinity International University. He served as senior pastor of Elmbrook Church in Brookfield, Wisconsin for ten years and now serves as Elmbrook’s minister at large. He has authored 18 books with Zondervan, Baker, Jossey-Bass, Leadership Network, Regal, and others.
“Mel writes with disarming honesty, and each prayer is like a cry of the heart. Here child-like simplicity meets sage-like wisdom, all of it spoken so intimately that living breath still fills each word. Lifelines indeed.” —Mark Buchanan, author, pastor, and professor
Designed individual prayers from Prayers for Our Lives.
PDFs are 4-5 MB. May require some time to load.
- A Morning Prayer PDF – 5″ x 7″ format
- An Evening Prayer PDF – 5″ x 7″ format
- Mealtime Prayer PDF – 5″ x 7″ format
- A Prayer to Start the Work Day – 8″ x 10″ format
- For Families – PDF – 8″ x 10″ format
- A Prayer of Faith and Salvation – PDF – 8″ x 10″ format
- Prayer for the Nation PDF – 5″ x 7 ” format
- When We Are Ill PDF – 8″ x 10″ format
- A Prayer for Easter PDF – PDF – 5″ x 7″ format
Play some of the prayers in Prayers for Our Lives. Check back later for more. Download function coming soon. (Radio stations: open use when used in entirety.)
A Prayer for the Nation — page 94 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Mel Lawrenz, Brookfield, Wisconsin)
Praise to Christ the Lord — page 80 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Alice Kinyua, Nairobi, Kenya.)
For the World — page 96 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Dan Steele, Oxford, England.)
A Morning Prayer (A) — page 16 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Mel Lawrenz, Brookfield, Wisconsin)
A Morning Prayer (C) — page 17 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Laura Powell, Brookfield, Wisconsin)
Praise to God the Father — page 78 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. — Download MP3 or play here… (Recorded by Bland Campbell, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
An Evening Prayer (A) — page 18 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Mel Lawrenz, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
An Evening Prayer (C) — page 19 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Laura Powell, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
A Prayer to Start the Work Day — page 20 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Mel Lawrenz, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
For Leaders in Government — page 100 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Sylvia Jeronimo, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
A Prayer of Faith and Salvation — page 64 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Laura Powell, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
Thanks For an Ordinary Day — page 69 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Mel Lawrenz, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
When Someone Comes to Faith — page 73 in Prayers for Our Lives: 95 Lifelines to God for Everyday Circumstances. (Recorded by Sylvia Jeronimo, Brookfield, Wisconsin.)
Who needs a book of prayers for everyday life?
An ordinary believer — A Christian leader —
A friend in need — Someone exploring faith — A new graduate —
A newly-wed couple — Someone who is ill —
Someone who is lonely — Someone who is unemployed
Church staff members — A church membership class —
A counselor or chaplain or pastor —
Members of a small group — Someone who is in prison
Everyone needs ways to talk to God everyday, about everything.
Ways to use Prayers for Our Lives in the life of a church or a Christian organization.
- Prayers for CONGREGATIONAL WORSHIP—pastoral, or unison reading. Holiday prayers and prayers for the community and nation.
- SMALL GROUPS may use Prayers for Our Lives for their regular prayer time, or as a tool for teaching patterns of prayer.
- Prayers for Our Lives as a gift for NEW CHURCH MEMBERS.
- BULK ORDERS: Discounts available for churches or other organizations wishing to make Prayers for Our Livesavailable for groups of people, or for a whole-church initiative.
- OUTREACH and EVANGELISM: People searching for God, considering faith, or even skeptical of faith may find a bridge to God through simple or specialized prayers.
- PRISON MINISTRY: Where a book of prayers helps people have lifelines to God.
- CHAPLAINCY, HOSPITALS, HOSPICES, REHAB, AND COUNSELING SERVICES.
Prayers for Our Lives is a collection 95 prayers for everyday use and for worship (complete list above). The nine sections include: Prayers for Daily Patterns • Prayers for Difficult Times • Prayers for Stressful Times • Prayers for Joyous Times • Prayers for Worshiping God • Prayers for the Community, the Nation, and the World • Prayers for Holidays • Prayers from Scripture • One-sentence Prayer
HOW TO USE PRAYERS FOR OUR LIVES IN MINISTRY
- For CONGREGATIONAL WORSHIP—pastoral, or unison reading—holiday prayers and prayers for the community and nation;
- For SMALL GROUPS using Prayers for Our Lives for their regular prayer time, or as a tool for teaching patterns of prayer;
- A WHOLE CHURCH initiative, getting people to develop daily patterns of prayer;
- As a gift for NEW CHURCH MEMBERS;
- For OUTREACH and EVANGELISM—people searching for God, considering faith, or even skeptical may find a bridge to God through simple or specialized prayers;
- As a help for people in COUNSELING or rehab;
- For use in PRISON MINISTRY;
- For use in HOSPITAL VISITATION.
PERMISSION FOR REPRODUCTION
Internet or email reproduction of prayers from Prayers for Our Lives is prohibited unless given special permission, but print permission is granted to reproduce individual prayers as handouts or church bulletins as long as:
- the prayer is used in full and unedited;
- attribution is included: “More prayers at PrayersForOurLives.org”
AUDIO AND VIDEO VERSIONS OF PRAYERS
Audio and video versions of prayers are available (above). Permission is granted to use in worship if used in full.
BULK DISCOUNTS – to inquire….